Monday, August 11, 2014

Perky

Monday:

I am feeling really well finally today. It's amazing how good that feels! I thought I was over that stomach bug after its first bout but obviously I wasn't because I never got up to this happy place before it struck again. I just feel good. And even though I ripped the CPAP off half-way through the night again, I feel well-rested. I actually wanted to get out of the house for the first time in a week.

I was productive today. An hour of writing in the morning, the grocery shopping, read several short stories for an award I am judging, eventually won in a fight with my Kobo, and got out for a nice walk with my puppy and my husband who is home this week for a break between moving sections at work.

If it seems like I do the grocery shopping strangely often, I do. Whoever renovated this kitchen before we moved here seemed to think a small space for a fridge was just fine. We bought the largest fridge that would fit in the space, but that isn't very big. There just isn't anywhere else for a fridge. The pantry is already in the laundry. I don't know why, the house is a decent size. But it was an elderly couple and I guess they had different ideas than I do about storage space for food. To make matters worse, one of the shelves in the fridge recently broke so now we only have two shelves and a vegetable drawer. I checked with the company but they don't make that model fridge any more so we can't get a replacement shelf. I didn't really want to buy a new fridge when we'd only have to get another tiny one and we've been thinking of moving for a while now. When we have houseguests we turn on my little single-person fridge out in the garage (no direct access to the house, so not very convenient) and use a lot of eskies (insulated boxes). Christmas in the middle of summer here is tricky! But even with just the four of us, I shop twice a week and have to juggle everything around to cram it all in. We might just have to give in and get a new fridge.

I started tracking again today, something I haven't done for a while. And I made zoodles (zucchini noodles) for dinner - I like them but lately I've been eating pasta because I just can't be bothered making something different for me. But I don't claim to have eaten cleanly today - quite a few treat foods. Still, it's a start.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better Natalie, hopefully you are done with that bug for good this time. I have found that since we are trying to eat at home more often and include more produce, finding room in our normal size fridge can be challenging. Good luck with that. What do you do with zucchini noodles? Just have them like you would regular pasta and maybe add a red sauce? I haven't had zucchini in that way, but now I am totally intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can steam them in the microwave but I stir-fry them with a little olive oil until they are soft. Then yes, the same bolognaise sauce that everyone else is having on their pasta (beef mince, tomato puree, mushrooms, onions, chilli, garlic). And grated cheese. Basically just pretend it is spaghetti.

      Delete
  2. So wonderful to read that you're feeling better!! The CPAP can be really hard to get comfortable wearing all night. I'm so glad you're feeling more rested. It's amazing the difference it makes in everything we experience. I can remember many nights doing the same thing you did---taking it off mid-way... Hang in there... Awesome you're tracking again!!! I keep putting it off--but one of these days, I must try Zoodles!! :)

    ReplyDelete